January 10, 2007

BRAD MITZELFELT APPOINTED FIRST DISTRICT SUPERVISOR



The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors on January 10 voted to appoint Brad Mitzelfelt as First District Supervisor. The Board met this afternoon to consider the appointment and selected Mitzelfelt from an original field of 13 candidates, from which two semifinalists were interviewed today.

"I am honored and humbled by this appointment. I'm looking forward to working the hardest I've ever worked for the residents of the First District and San Bernardino County," said Mitzelfelt after his appointment. "I would like to express my gratitude to everyone who has supported me and expressed their confidence in me."

San Bernardino County's First District covers an area of over 17,000 square miles, making it the largest Supervisorial district in the nation. The district, which spans much of the Mojave Desert, includes the cities of Adelanto, Barstow, Hesperia, Needles, Twentynine Palms, Victorville and the Town of Apple Valley, in addition to dozens of incorporated communities.

Mitzelfelt stated that his priorities as Supervisor would include public safety and health, transportation, economic development and quality of life. "I have an obligation to look out for the well-being and best interests of First District residents, and I intend to do so," he said.

Mitzelfelt thanked Board members for giving him the opportunity to succeed former Supervisor Bill Postmus. "I'd like to thank my colleagues for their confidence."